Installing the E-Maj software¶
E-Maj is available for download on the Internet site PGXN, the PostgreSQL Extension Network (https://pgxn.org/dist/e-maj/).
E-Maj and its add-ons are also available on the github.org Internet site:
- source components (https://github.com/dalibo/emaj)
- documentation (https://github.com/beaud76/emaj_doc)
- Emaj_web GUI (https://github.com/dalibo/emaj_web)
Installing the extension from the github.org repository creates the extension in its development version (“devel”). In this case, no future extension update is possible. For a stable E-Maj use, it is highly recommended to use the packets available from PGXN.
Standart installation on Linux¶
Download the latest E-Maj version by any convenient way. If the pgxn client is installed, just execute the command:
pgxn download E-Maj
Then decompress the downloaded archive file with the commands:
unzip e-maj-<version>.zip cd e-maj-<version>/
Identify the precise location of the SHAREDIR directory. Depending on the PostgreSQL installation, the pg_config –sharedir shell command may directly report this directory name. Otherwise, look at typical locations like:
- /usr/share/postgresql/<pg_version> for Debian or Ubuntu
- /usr/pgsql-<pg_version>/share for RedHat or CentOS
Copy some files to the extension directory of the postgresql version you want to use. As a super-user or pre-pended with sudo, type:
cp emaj.control <SHAREDIR_directory>/extension/. cp sql/emaj--* <SHAREDIR_directory>/extension/.
The latest E-Maj version is now installed and referenced by PostgreSQL. The e-maj-<version> directory contains the file tree described here.
Minimum installation on Linux¶
On some environments (like DBaaS clouds for instance), it is not allowed to add extensions into the SHAREDIR directory. For these cases, a minimum installation is possible.
Download the latest E-Maj version by any convenient way and decompress it.
If the pgxn client is installed, just execute the commands:
pgxn download E-Maj unzip e-maj-<version>.zip
The e-maj-<version> directory contains the file tree described here.
The extension creation will be a little bit different.
Installation on Windows¶
To install E-Maj on Windows:
- Download the extension from the pgxn.org site,
- Extract the file tree from the downloaded zip file,
- Copy the files emaj.control and sql/emaj–* into the share\extension folder of the PostgreSQL installation folder (typically c:\Program_Files\PostgreSQL\<postgres_version>)
Alternate location of SQL installation scripts¶
The emaj.control file located in the SHAREDIR/extension directory of the PostgreSQL version, may contain a directive that defines the directory where SQL installation scripts are located.
So it is possible to only put the emaj.control file into this SHAREDIR/extension directory, by creating a pointer towards the script directory.
To setup this, just:
- copy the emaj.contol file from the root directory of the decompressed structure into the SHAREDIR/extension directory,
- adjust the directory parameter of the emaj.control file to reflect the actual location of the E-Maj SQL scripts.